Fluffy the cat arrived at the animal clinic in a very bad condition when it was covered in ice and snow. She was found in a snow bank in Montana, Fluffy didn’t responded anything and her fur was matted with ice. Luckily, the veterinarians didn’t give up on her.
Andrea Dutter, the Executive Director of the Animal Clinic of Kalispell said “When we saw Fluffy, I would have to say that our initial thoughts were that of any other patient in distress. All hands on deck and let’s thaw this sweet baby girl out! In moment like this, you have to take it one minute at a time.”
Fluffy’s temperature was so low, it didn’t even reach on a thermometer with a bottom range of 90 degrees. Cats’ normal body temperature is somewhere around 101 degrees.
“Fluffy had a heartbeat the whole time. She never was pronounced dead, just REALLY cold, nearly frozen. We began thawing her out right away with different methods, starting with warm water running over her to melt the snow and ice. Then we used warm towels from the dryer that we rotated out, we used hair dryers, heating pads, and then when her temp was up enough for us to be able to get a catheter in her to start IV fluids.” – Dutter described Fluffy’s situation.
The fur ball was fully recovered after 2 long hours of using warm water and blankets. At first, Fluffy’s temperature was still too low, she had to be taken to the emergency room and stayed there for a few more hours.
“We are never given any guarantee that any method of medical attention will be successful, no matter what species you are. In Fluffy’s case, she is fortunate to be young (she was only 3 years old) and healthy. She had a will to survive and she has proven that to us, and the world.”
Her owners did the right thing when they brought her to the clinic immediately at the moment they found her, that was the most important thing. Fluffy is a lucky cat when she has her owners who love and care for her so much, as well as the doctors and the clinic, nobody ever wanted to give up on this little baby.
Fortunately, everything fell in line perfectly and her recovery was remarkable.
Hopefully this story of Fluffy’s situation will remind other pet owners to be aware of ways to help their indoor and outdoor pets stay safe and the importance of seeking medical attention at the right time. Thankfully that Fluffy’s owners acted quickly in such scary situation.
People on the Internet had a lot to say about this story.